Sunday, May 9, 2010

What if it doesn't work?

Sometimes I have created what I believed was a thought-provoking and insightful discussion topic that would be both interesting and also easy for my students to research, only to have it fall flat on its face.

Either the goals were somehow confusing, the topic not as interesting for students as it was for me, or the hints in my own introductory post directions were not read, in which case science was "misapplied".

What can an instructor do if a topic that was expected to be just "great"...is far from it?

Tweak it or Trash it.

Editing the criteria and/or providing concrete examples of expected outcomes might help.
However, there are just sometimes when what seems like an awesome topic (or slant on a topic) just has to be trashed in favor of one that will produce the expected class participation and enthusiasm.

Lorrie

No comments:

Post a Comment