Thursday, May 6, 2010

Maintaining Standards for Discussion Posts

I had composed this post about my standards in the discussion area by the second week of the Spring semester but I never published it. I guess I was concerned that maybe I was being too O.C.
But after seeing the thread of posts in the Faculty Discussion area I thought about my own post once again and decided to publish it after all.

So here goes:

Okay...there's My Space, Face book, Twitter, all sorts of personal blog sites, cell phone text messages and then there are D2L CCCOnline courses.
This is college!

And so, Research Discussions in my classes are expected to be written using proper spelling and grammar. A uniform font style and size is encouraged. A post written in ALL CAPS or all bold type is not allowed. Also not acceptable are posts decorated with brightly colored fonts or fonts which change font family and size frequently within a single message.
Capitals must begin a sentence and a period or other punctuation mark must end a sentence.
The first person "I" must not read as "i".

If a post is difficult to read and follow then an edit is requested.

My insistence on both discussion content and format does not win overwhelming student applause the first 2 weeks of a semester but I stand firm in requiring that discussion posts look more professional than your average "anyone can post here" blog.

By the second unit the majority of student research posts look very professional. Yay! Mission accomplished!

Lorrie

No comments:

Post a Comment