Sunday, May 9, 2010

Instructor Online Presence

When speaking with students on the phone, many times I have heard comments on how they are not used to the help they are receiving, or the timely grading of the assignments or my Instructor online presence.
This semester one of my students emailed me about something I wrote in his Lab Feedback. He said that he did not think he could ask me for help since this is an "online course". Despite emails that tell everyone to write or call for help, he still believed that he had to go it alone. After my reply encouraging him to seek assistance, that's just what he did for the remainder of the semester.

I like my students to be aware of my online presence. I tell them in my very first Welcome Email that they will notice me online everyday and often. I always hope they will connect my dedication to them and the course with expectations for student presence and performance.

Lorrie

No comments:

Post a Comment