Thursday, April 29, 2010

An Opportunity Not Missed

Students call often for help with Labs. I really like when they do because it’s my time to learn a thing or two as well.

Before ending the conversation I ask one or more general questions about things for which I might make assumptions but about which, without verification, I cannot be certain.
I always make sure students know that I am asking strictly for my own personal knowledge so I can best structure and instruct my course, not to criticize their online or course habits.

Some examples:

1. When you log on to Desire to Learn do you go to a course link such an “You have new Emails” or “You have Dropbox feedback” or do you go to a Course Home Page each time?
2. If you go directly to Discussion or Dropbox areas, do you also visit Home Page News every week? If you do visit News then how often would you say you read News items?
3. How often do you tend to check Email? Do you filter Emails for each of your courses?
4. Did you change any Discussion or Email settings when Tips were provided?
5. If Instructor-made videos were available for Geology concepts such as measuring Interfacial Angles, would you most likely view them? Would you have the time?

Such things are important, need-to-know information that help me to make better decisions how to reach my students with course updates, course changes and new resource materials.
I keep my list of questions next to my computer. I may only ask one question during a single phone conversation but I try not to let the opportunity to do so slip away.

Lorrie

No comments:

Post a Comment