Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bending a Little

I am a firm believer in not babying online students. I want them to research and "Google" for themselves and I will provide help and hints on "how" to do so in order to guide them along.

However, sometimes an Instructor needs to know when to bend a bit more for the sake of all involved.

Two situations this semester come to mind.
In one case a person misplaced a map that was needed for a Lab and so the student emailed me to ask if I had any advice.
I suggested a Google Image search because a Physiographic World Map can be found on the Internet.

Then I was asked...do I put "Physiographic World Map" into the Search box?
Knowing that several very different Physiographic World Map images could come up, some of lesser quality than others, I decided it was easier and better if I found the map then emailed the link to the student.

In another situation a student was having a great deal of difficulty understanding exactly what was required for a Unit Research Discussion. The information the student had written was not scientifically sound nor was it enough to qualify for 45 points.
By way of an email, guidance was provided to "fatten up" the research with additional facts but every email reply came back with, "Sorry but I still do not know what is required."
Ultimately I decided on a better way to help this student.
1. I suggested a topic title within the main topic. It was something about which I knew the person could find a lot of information.
2. Then I listed 3 specific areas to touch on within the research in order to cover criteria and qualify for full points.

Even if at first an instructor believes that a student should be able to handle an assignment or accomplish a task from start to finish on their own, sometimes it is easiest and best for an instructor to bend a little and do more to help students accomplish a goal.

Lorrie

No comments:

Post a Comment